Friday, March 12, 2010

Coming of Age...

LOVED LOVED LOVED this article in the new "American Photo".  It is focused on Seniors and how the Senior market has changed over the years.  Actually, we've seen a huge change in the past 2 years with Seniors in high school.  It seems Seniors are more aware of what they want, how they want their sessions to run (thank you America's Next Top Model- LOVE this show) and what they "expect" their images to look like.  I LOVE the fact that Seniors are more in touch with projecting "WHO" they are in portraits now.  The look of Senior Portraits (now) have more of a editorial look... with more of the subjects personality being the focus.

Back in the day, I remember seeing friends who had their "Senior Portraits" taken by photographers who thought it was cool to pose Seniors "just right"... trust me... it wasn't cool.  Most of the images I saw,  I often thought, "what the heck were you thinking photographer?"  E.g.:  Train tracks (God help me if I see another Senior sitting on a train track), a beautiful girl leaning on a HUGE, white "98", and of course, the red barn backdrop with a fake wooden fence (in the studio) with the Senior posed so perfectly with the class ring showing, with one hand down and one hand under the chin.  My gosh, I think I could go on forever.

If you were smart, you went to Keith and Denice Boutwell of "Shooters Photography" in Forest, MS for your Senior Portraits.  Keith and Denice are considered my "adoptive parents".  They took me under their wings and showed me the ropes of not only photography, but hair and makeup, lighting, editing and running a business.  So, of course, when it came time for my Senior Portraits AND my brothers, etc., we went to Keith and Denice.  I also had a LOT of friends that went to them.  Not because they were the only photography studio in Forest, but because they were THE best.  They captured Senior girls so beautifully, with their personalities shining through each image.  It was so natural how they captured Seniors... you could tell the Seniors were comfortable AND they were being themselves.  That is what makes a good Senior Portrait, in my opinion:  capturing WHO they are... not a "posed version".

So now it seems that photographers are going AWAY from the studio posed Seniors.  There is nothing with shooting in a studio... sometimes they make THE most gorgeous shots.  But, it's good to get outside (if possible) and shoot with a gorgeous girl in a field or in a funky building.  When I started shooting Seniors, I was determined to capture "WHO" they were and "HOW" they wanted the world to see them.

Of course, we all need to make mom, dad and gramma happy.  So, always have that classic portrait for them, in a beautiful dress or suit... and then... ROCK IT OUT!

Check out the American Photo article here:  American Photo

Below are some images I've taken of Seniors...

Have a Beautiful DAY!
Andrea :D






























No comments:

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

"My Peeps"